ADD/ADHD Testing

Testing for ADD and ADHD can be initiated by parents, schools and/or medical professionals. The type of testing and payment of testing depends on who initiates it and who performs the testing. Comprehensive testing for ADD and ADHD can be done by neuropsychologists, but this testing is usually not covered by insurance. Psychiatrists are also able to evaluate for ADD/ADHD and their services are often covered by insurance. Before scheduling an appointment for an evaluation, we recommend that you check with your insurance company to see which providers are covered on your plan. Also, check with your child’s school to see if they have specific provider with whom they prefer to work.
  • Department of Neuropsychology, DHMC: (603)650-5824, Lebanon NH Comprehensive testing and evaluation
  • The Stern Center, (603)276-3165, West Lebanon, NH, Evaluation of ADD/ADHD as well as other learning styles/difficulties.
  • Dartmouth Hitchcock Department of Psychiatry, 800 556-6249., Lebanon, NH. They accept NH and VT Medicaid and other plans. You do not need a referral to receive services, but it is usually sped up with a referral from your PCP. You can also contact other psychiatrists in the area for these services.
  • Children With Special Health Needs, Vermont Dept. of Health, 108 Cherry Street, PO Box 70, Burlington, VT 05402  (800) 660-4427 or (802) 863-7338
  • Clinical Associates in Psychology and Psychiatry (802)649-0100, Norwich, VT. Accept VT Medicaid and other insurance plans.
  • Healthcare and Rehabilitation Services of SE VT (HCRS) 888-888-5144, White River, Junction, VT
  • Dr. Richard Clatttenburg (802)674-7224, Windsor, VT – affiliated with DHMC Accepts NH and VT Medicaid and other plans.
  There are several other providers who do perform evaluations, but do not accept insurance, including:
  • Deer Creek Associates (802)785-2903, East Thetford, Vermont
  • Dr. Mary Ann Salvatoriello (603)643-5411, Hanover, NH
  • Dr. Hilary Coons (603)643-9717, Hanover, NH

Anger Management

Headrest 24 hour talkline: 603-448-4400 TeenLine: 1-800-639-6095 Headrest runs a group for Anger management and substance abuse – It runs 12 weeks and meets for 1 ½ hours per week. The fee is sliding scale and preference is given to New Hampshire residents, but open to others if spaces are available. For information about the group, call the above hotline numbers. Wit’s End is a support group for parents and guardians of adolescents or young adults who are having problems related to alcohol or other drug use. Call Second Wind Foundation at (802) 295-5206

Dental Care (Medicaid/Uninsured)

Red Logan Dental Clinic: Offers free dental care to Upper Valley residents, including basic primary dental care, hygiene instruction, restorations, uncomplicated extractions. In June, 2006 the clinic was not accepting new patients. Call for information/ appointment. 802-295-7573, 1-877-552-4820. 70 N. Main St. WRJ (downstairs from Good Neighbor Clinic). Dr. John Holbach, White River Junction, VT (802) 295-5598 – Accepts Vermont Medicaid Dr. J William McDonald, Woodstock, VT (802) 457-4490 – Accepts Vermont Medicaid Family Dentistry, Plainfield, VT (802) 454-1047 – Accepts Vermont Medicaid Dr. Steven Bachner, Norwich, VT (802) 649-5210 (Accepts pediatric patients under 5) Vermont State Dental Clinic: Provides dental care for Vermont residents over age 13 who are on Medicaid. Clinic located at Red Logan Dental Clinic. 802-296-5598. Free child dental clinics are conducted in White River Junction by the Vermont Department of Health throughout the year. Call (802) 295-8820 to find out dates and times. In New Hampshire, 21 school-based dental programs and thirteen dental centers across the state offer a range of oral health services. Each program or dental center has its own eligibility rules to qualify for services. Generally speaking the client must live in the geographic area served by the program, fulfill financial eligibility requirements and fall within the patient population age criteria determined by the dental program. Alice Peck Day Memorial Hospital School Dental Program for Children without access to dental care in grades K-3 in Lebanon, Enfield, and Canaan, contact the school nurse. Claremont Dental Initiative – Claremont children without access to care in grades K-5 in Claremont and Unity, contact the school nurse.


Being diagnosed with diabetes can be quite overwhelming. For general information about the disease and guidance with lifestyle, we suggest you visit the website of the American Diabetes Association. For personalized information and guidance, community resources may be very helpful. White River Family Practice offers diabetes management through office visits and educational visits with the office nurse, Elizabeth Romano.

Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center

DHMC offers many services for patients with diabetes.
  • Diabetes Educators Rita Ketay, M Ed, CDE, BC-ADM Diabetes Education Coordinator Individualized education appointments Carol French(RDE), CDE, MS Individualized nutrition education and guidance (603) 650-8630 Insurance is accepted. A referral from PCP is needed for insurance coverage.
  • Adult Education Classes  DHMC offers a comprehensive education program for adults with diabetes. The program takes place in three sessions and is entitled JumpStart. Insurance may cover these education sessions with a referral from your PCP. JumpStart 1: Diabetes overview, blood glucose monitoring, nutrition, pattern management. JumpStart 2: Medications, acute complications, sick day management and nutrition. JumpStart 3: Exercise, chronic complications and prevention, sex and diabetes, diabetes and pregnancy, foot care, skin care, dental care, and resources.
In addition, DHMC offers a yearly update for patients on the newest and latest information on diabetes. For information on the classes and yearly seminar, call Beverly Poirier, (603)650-8630

Support Groups

  • Diabetes Education and Support Group for Children and Their Parents Call Ann Christiano, ARNP, CDE, 603-650-7708.
  • Diabetes Insulin Pump Support Group Call Beverly Poirier for details, 603-650-8630.
  • Adult Diabetes Support Group For information, call Beverly Poirier, 603-650-8630.

Private Nutritionists/ Diabetes Educators

Amy Tuller, R.D., L.D., C.D.E (802) 649-1444 Individualized education and nutrition counseling as well as group classes. Most major insurances accepted with a referral from PCP. Gita Patel, R.D., C.D.E (603)643-3930 Individualized education and nutrition counseling. Special interest in endocrine problems, women’s health, food sensitivities and functional medicine. Most major insurances accepted with a referral from your PCP.

Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault

National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) NH Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-866-644-3574 VT 24 hr Hotlines
  • Domestic Violence: 1-800-228-7395
  • Sexual Abuse: 1-800-489-7273
  • SAFELINE for Orange County: 1-800-639-7233
WISE (Women’s Information Service) Offers various free crisis services to women in situations of domestic violence. Safety: 24 hour crisis hotline, emergency shelters or safe homes, personalized safety plans. Legal Assistance: Help with filing restraining orders, support at court hearings, lawyer referrals. Support Services: Individual peer counseling, support groups, help assessing options and resources. 603-448-5922 Lebanon, NH 03766
24 hr hotline: 866-348-9473 (accepts collect calls)
Women’s Supportive Provides various free services to women who are victims of domestic violence, such as peer support, court advocacy, counseling and emergency shelters or safe homes. WSS Hotline: 860-364-1900 New Beginnings: Provides various free services to women who are victims of domestic violence and sexual abuse. Serving Vermont, south of Woodstock.
24 hour hotline: 802-885-2050
Have Justice, Will  Provides legal aid and support for domestic violence and divorce cases, including advice in your own home and travel to and from court 1-877-496-8100 (in VT) 802-685-7809 Safe at Home Address Confidentiality Program:   This is a mail forwarding service for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking who have moved to escape their abusers. This decreases the fear of being tracked down. For Vermont residents only. 1-800-439-8683 or contact the local domestic abuse advocates on this page.

Drug and Alcohol Addiction Services

DHMC Addiction Treatment Program

Provides evaluation, treatment and referral to appropriate services for those suffering from addiction. A referral from a physician is not required, but may help expedite process. 2 Buck Road (adjacent to the Community Health Center), Hanover, NH 03755 (603) 650-7075, (800) 556-6249 24 hours, 7 days a week


24-hour talk line 1-800-273-8255 Teenline for Drug & Alcohol Abuse 1-800-639-6095 Headrest runs many groups and programs for those suffering from addiction. They also provide outpatient substance abuse counseling and inpatient detoxification. Headrest also collaborates with West Central and Child Family Services to run the Youth Empowerment Services (YES) Program for teens suffering with addiction.

Alcoholics Anonymous

A fellowship of men and women who share their experience and hope with each other. Only requirement is the desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees. Upper Valley AA meetings call 603-448-6655 (NH) 802-295-7611 (VT) or

Narcotics Anonymous

NH 603-448-4400; VT 802-773-5575 Alcohol Abuse Hotline 1-800-234-0420 Drug Abuse Hotline 1-800-662-4357 ;Second Wind Foundation (Upper Valley Turning Point), 200 Olcott Drive, White River Jct., VT 05001 – 802-295-5206 Willow Grove - Transitional home for women in recovery.

Residential Treatment Services

There are several residential treatment programs in NH and VT. For a complete list, refer to:, click on Health Information, Alcohol and Drug Treatment Options, and then Regional Directory. If you do not have access to internet, WRFP can print you a copy of this list.


There are numerous fitness programs in the Upper Valley. Most towns have a recreation department that offers diverse programs for people of all ages throughout the year. In addition, there are many private gyms that offer programs in cycling to yoga to weight training. We recommend that you contact your town recreation department for ongoing programs and to refer to the yellow pages for gyms in your area. Below we have listed town recreation department numbers as well as information for a few area large gyms.
  • Claremont Recreation Department 603-542-7019
  • Hanover Recreation Department 603-643-5315, Click for website
  • Hartford Parks and Recreation Department 802-295-5036, Click for website
  • Hartland Recreation Department 802-2790, Click for website
  • Lebanon Recreation Department 603-448-5121
  • Norwich Recreation Council 802-649-3040
  • Storrs Pond 603-643-2134 swimming, camping, hikes, picnic grounds in Hanover, NH
  • Windsor Recreation Department 802-674-6783
  • Woodstock Recreation Department 802-457-1502
  • FLIP (Fitness and Lifestyle Improvement Program) a division of the Dartmouth College Athletic Department is dedicated to providing a variety of health and fitness classes that include: senior walking, aerobics, torso fitness, dance, hiking, stretch and tone, and more. Call (603) 646-3903 for more information.
  • Carter Community Center (CCBA) - 603-448-6477, Large gym and pool, many community programs for all ages. Located in Lebanon, NH
  • River Valley Club - (603)643-7720 Private gym/spa/pool. Located in Lebanon, NH
  • Upper Valley Aquatic Center - (802)296-2850, located at the junction of interstates 89 and 91 in Hartford, Vermont.  Large pool, fitness center, splash park with children’s area. Fully handicapped accessible.

Food Assistance

Food Stamp Program

Provides monthly food stamps to low-income families and individuals. The monthly amount is determined by household size, income and asset levels, and certain other measures. This program is for both Vermont and New Hampshire.
  • NH: 800-852-3345 or 603-271-9700
  • VT: 1-800-479-6151

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

Provides healthy food and nutrition education to pregnant and breast-feeding women. It also provides food to infants and children up to 5 years of age. In addition, there are kid’s health screening and healthy foods delivered to your door. Participants must be determined nutritionally at-risk by a nutritionist, doctor, or nurse and must meet income guidelines. Call 1-800-649-4357 or 603-271-4546 for general questions.

Commodity Supplemental Food Program

CSFP provides food to children age 6 years old, elderly persons and pregnant and postpartum women. Must meet income guidelines.
  • NH: 800-322-1073
  • VT: 800-214-4648

Food Pantries

There are several food pantries in the area. The hours and locations vary and may change depending on resources. Below are listed a few of the more stable programs which may also have information on other local resources.
LISTEN Food Pantry
Lebanon, NH, 603-448-4553, best to call first for an appointment. Open to NH and VT residents, but they require that VT residents first contact The Haven (see below).
The Upper Valley Haven
802-295-6500 , 745 Hartford Ave., WRJ, VT. The Haven requests a referral to utilize services. A social Service agency (includes WRFP) must call ahead and give name of person requesting services and number of people in household and then client a can go to pantry once monthly. Open to VT and NH residents.

Home Caregivers

The Martha Lussier Health Information & Referral Service (HIRS): (802) 457-3478 Keeps a register of home care-givers and provides the names of home caregivers to families looking for services. (Employers make their own reference checks and financial arrangements). Provides information on community agencies that offer support/services to the homebound. The office telephone number is (802) 457-3478, and the answering machine will be checked at regular intervals so that calls made during non-office hours will be responded to as soon as possible. Kathy’s Caregivers: (802) 785-4493 Comprehensive homecare services provided 24/7. Fee for care. Armistead Caregiver Services Home-based, non-medical personal care and other support services for the elderly and disabled adults. 24/7 coverage available.
  • Vermont: 145 Pine Haven Shores Rd. Suite 1041 Burlington, VT 05482 (802) 489-5682 Toll Free (866) 284-1912
  • New Hampshire 365 Route 120 Unit E3 Lebanon, NH 03766 (603) 277-9119 Toll Free (877) 448-7088
TLC Homecare Services: Personalized homecare services to people of all ages, physical conditions and cognitive abilities in Vermont and New Hampshire. 802-735-1123 and 603-678-4950. or


VNA and Hospice of Vermont & New Hampshire: Provides palliative care and end of life care. Also provides many free grief support programs. 1-888-300-8853  66 Benning Street, Suite 6, West Lebanon, NH 03784 Bayada Nurses – Home Care Specialists - Bayada Nurses provides a comprehensive suite of home health care services for children, adults, and seniors, including hospice, skilled nursing, therapy, personal care and support. Call us at (802) 526-2518 or in Rutland at (802) 282-4122

Medical Care for Uninsured/ State Insurance Programs

Included below is information on applying for state medical insurance in both New Hampshire and Vermont as well as local resources/programs that provide free/ low-cost medical care.

White River Family Practice

This office provides services on a sliding scale fee to patients that meet financial requirements. Please stop by our billing office for more information.

The Ladies First Program

The Ladies First Program is a federally funded program that provides screening exams and lifestyle intervention for women who meet income requirements. Services include: complete physicals, pap smears, cholesterol testing, and mammograms. Services are provided at participating clinics. WRFP participates in this program. Please call 1-800­-508-2222 for information.

Good Neighbor Health Clinic

Offers free primary medical care, nutritional counseling, neurology, women’s health, physical therapy, mental health counseling, and smoking cessation. Also refer for dental care and other medical concerns. Call for an appointment. 1-877-552-4815, 802-295-1868 Windsor Community Health Clinic: The health center provides general medical care using the existing hospital and their regular doctors. The clinic is open during the regular hours of the day. 802-674-7213 Mt. Ascutney Hospital & Health Center Windsor, Vermont

Precision Valley Clinic (Springfield, VT)

If patient qualifies financially, they are given referrals to area-physicians who will provide some free care. Call 802-885-1616.

New Hampshire Health Insurance Programs


Provides full health insurance for adults and children who meet certain income guidelines. There are no program fees for Medicaid.

Healthy Kids

An insurance program for children, working or not, up to age 19. Cost for the insurance is based on family size and income and is on a sliding scale. Health benefits include physician services, hospital services, dental services and prescription drugs.
Where to Apply for NH Programs
NH Department of Health & Human Services Claremont District Office 17 Water St., Claremont, NH 03743 603-542-9544, 1-800-982-1001 To Apply for Healthy Kids, call 1-877-464-2447

Vermont Health Insurance Programs


Provides certain groups of people, including those under 21, pregnant women, the disabled and those meeting certain income guidelines with full medical insurance. There are no program fees for Medicaid.

Vermont Health Access Plan (VHAP)

Provides full health insurance to uninsured adults, age 18 and older, who meet certain income guidelines. Different guidelines apply to students. Depending on your income (personal or family), you may have to pay a program fee every six months. Co-payments are required for most services. VHAP covers about half of the cost of prescriptions. There is a 12 month waiting period for those who have dropped out of another health insurance plan.

Dr. Dynasaur

Provides full health insurance for kids, up to age 18, and for families who earn incomes of fewer than 300% of the Federal Poverty Level. Program fees are on a sliding scale, and range from $10- $50 for 3 months.

Medicaid Waivers Program

Provides funding for home health care to elderly Vermonters who are homebound. Must meet certain guidelines to qualify.
Where to apply for Vermont Programs
Vermont Department Of Children and Family Services, Office of Economic Resources (formerly PATH) Assistance with applying for VHAP (Vermont Health Assistance Program) and Medicaid Gilman Office Complex, White River Junction, VT (802) 295-8855, 800-250-­8427

Medication Assistance

Windsor Community Health Clinic, Windsor, VT Offers assistance in applying for prescription drug assistance from pharmaceuticals. This service is available to both residents of Vermont and New Hampshire. Some financial information is needed to qualify and a list of your medications and prescription from your physician. Call for information. 802-674-7213 Precision Valley Clinic Springfield, VT Offers assistance in applying for prescription drugs from pharmaceuticals. This service is available to both residents of Vermont and New Hampshire. Some financial information is needed to qualify and a list of your medications and prescription from your physician . Call for information. 802-885-1616 Good Neighbor Health Clinic Provides assistance in obtaining medications for patients of GNHC only: (802)295-1868 Dartmouth Hitchcock Medication Assistance Program Offers assistance for patients of DHMC in applying for prescription assistance programs. Call 603-650-5789 for more information. Partners in Health in Newport and Associates in Medicine of Claremont Valley Regional Hospital owned practices. Offers assistance for patients of these practices in applying for prescription assistance programs. Call for an appointment. 603-543-6960

Mental Health

There are a range of mental health services in the Upper Valley ranging from publically supported agencies to private practices. We recommend that you first contact your insurance provider to assess coverage and eligible providers. Below we list area agencies, national/state directories and alliances as well as area private therapists. This list may not be comprehensive. Child & Family Services 603-298-8237. Lebanon, NH, Counseling, support and advocacy for children and families Children’s Upstream Services at The Family Place Parent Child Center 802-649-3268, Norwich, VT, Education and mental health services for youngchildren and their families. The Clara Martin Center 802-728-4466(Randolph), 802 222-4477 (Bradford),802 685-4859 (Chelsea) Clara Martin Center Counseling and support for children and families. Also offers the Families First Program (case management, emergency services and flexible funds to keep families safe and together). Dartmouth Hitchcock Psychiatric Associates 1-800-556-6249 or 603-650-5855. Click for website . Wide range of behavioral health services for adults and children Health Care & Rehabilitative Services of Southeastern Vermont (HCRS) 802-295-3031,, Offices in White River Jct., Windsor, Springfield, Bellows Falls & Brattleboro. Evaluation, counseling and support for children and their families. Specialists in early mental health, coordination of care, after school and summer programs, substance abuse concerns and support groups. Short term stabilization services for children in mental health crisis. Also offers the Families First Program (case management, emergency services and flexible funds to keep families safe and together). West Central Behavioral Health, Lebanon, (603) 448-1101, Community mental health and substance abuse services for Grafton and Sullivan counties, New Hampshire. Wide range of services for adults, adolescents, children and families.

Alliances and Directories

NH Behavioral Health Services, Regional Community Health Directories, Click for website. A complete listing of Community Mental Health Centers in 10 regions of New Hampshire. These are not-for-profit agencies that have contracted with the NH Department of Health & Human Services, Bureau of Behavioral Health to provide publicly funded mental health services to individuals and families who meet certain criteria for services. NAMI-NH (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) 603-225-5359, National organization, advocacy, referrals, support group information NAMI-VT (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) state office – 802-244-1396 National organization, advocacy, referrals and support group information

Upper Valley Mental Health Therapists

Norwich/Hartford/Hanover/Lebanon/White River Junction
  • Allden, Kathleen, MD, Psychology & Psychiatry 195 N. Main St., Ste. 2, White River Jct., VT 05001 (802)295-3031
  • Hill, Anderson, MSW 289 Main, Norwich, VT 85055 (802)649-2617
  • Baer, Jeanne, Med, MSW 31 Pierce Ln, Norwich, VT 05055 (802)649-9095
  • Brill, Jacqueline  One Court Street, Suite 220, Lebanon, NH 03766 (603) 448-1988
  • Cheeseman, Sharon, LICSW, CGP 205 Billings Farm Rd. Ste 2C, White River Jct., VT 05001 (802) 291-7222
  • Cohen, Randye, Psychologist 11 Beaver Meadow Rd., Norwich, VT 05055 (802)649-5109
  • Coons, Hilary, Psychologist 7 Allen St., Suite #301, Hanover, NH 03755 (603)643-9717
  • Demment, Christine C., Ph.D., Clinical Assoc in Psychology & Psychiatry 53 S. Main St, Hanover, NH 03755 (603)643-2510
  • Descamps, Monica, Ph.D. 16 Beaver Meadow Rd, Norwich, VT 85055 (802)649-5499
  • Dixon, Betty 11 Union St, Lebanon, NH 03766 (603)448-3468
  • Donnelly, Gosha Z., Ph.D.
  • 11 Beaver Meadow Rd., Norwich, VT 05055 (802)649-2266
  • Drown, Debra, Ph.D. 20 W. Park St., #209, Lebanon, NH 03766 (603)448-1775
  • Fischer, Jill, LICSW 20 W. Park St., #213, Lebanon, NH 03766 (603) 448-5318 Fleischer, Amy 53 S. Main St., Hanover, NH 03755 (603)643-7676
  • Hennessey, Martha S., Pd.D. 367 Route 120, #B1, Lebanon, NH 03766 (603)643-8672
  • Jannen,Lori, Ph.D., Psychologist 11 Beaver Meadow Rd., Norwich, VT 05055 (802)649-5524
  • Jones, Deborah, Ph.D. 527 Center of Town Rd, Hartford, VT 05047 (802)295-9800
  • Kneisel, Pamela, Ph.D. 53 S. Main Street, Ste 210, Hanover, NH 03755 (603)643-5253
  • Kol, Kimberly L., Psy.D., Clinical Psychologist 2 Rivers Clinic, Rt. 113; Hanover, 6 E. South St., 2nd Flr. (603)208-9980
  • Lesser, Ronnie C., Ph.D., Licensed Psychologist-Doctorate 316 Main St., Norwich, VT 05055 (603) 601-4299
  • Londa, Jessica, PH.D., Psychologist,
  • PO Box 123, Thetford, VT 05074 (802)785-2434
  • McDonagh, Annmarie, MD 44 S. Main St, Hanover, NH 03755 (603)650-9237
  • Michaud,Hilary, Psychologist 15 School St., Lebanon, NH 03766 (603)448-2543
  • Mills, Peter D., Psychologist Middle Rd., Norwich, VT 04044 (802)649-1610
  • Pike, Julie, Ph.D. Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03756 (603)650-8406
  • Reed, Laurie, MD 43 Eagle Ridge Rd., Lebanon, NH 03766 (603)448-0790
  • Roston, Diane, MD 6 South Park St., Lebanon, NH 03766 (603)448-4821
  • Rhodin,Victoria L. 527 Center of Town Rd., White River Junction, VT 85001 (802)291-9001
  • Saginor, Joseph P., Ph.D 20 W. Park Street Lobby, Lebanon, NH 03766 (603)448-1553
  • Scheiner, Janine L., Psychologist Middle Rd., Norwich, VT 04044 (802)649-1610
  • Steinberg, Donna, 4 West Wheelock St., Hanover, NH 03755
  • Osborne, Robin, Ph.D. 321 Rt 113, East Thetford, VT 85043 (802)785-4262
  • Kahn, Susan, M.S.W., Ed.D., Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker PO Box 291, Plainfield, NH 03781 (603)675-2819
  • Cannon, Hope, Counselor 24 Elm St. Ste 2, Woodstock, VT 85091 (802)457-4081
  • Dietrich, Anthony, MD 217-4 Maxham Meadow Wy, Woodstock, VT 05091 (802)457-4904

More Educational Resources (external)

Parenting and Family

The Family Place Parent Child Center, 802-649-3268 Family, Infant Toddler Program providing early intervention services for children 0-3 in Vermont, free play groups, parent education, parent support, child advocacy center, home visiting, clinical services, child care subsidies, information & referral, community development. Child & Family Services, 603-298-8272, Advocacy, Child Care Resources & Referrals, Counseling, Home Based Family Therapy, Early Supports & Services, Teen Services, Parent & Family Skills, Summer Camps Women, Infants, and Children (WIC): provides healthy food and nutrition education to pregnant and breast-feeding women. It also provides food to infants and children up to 5 years of age. In addition, there are kid’s health screening and healthy foods delivered to your door. Participants must be determined nutritionally at-risk by a nutritionist, doctor, or nurse and must meet income guidelines. Call 1-800-WIC-4321 or 603-271-4546 for general questions. Local WIC/CSFP office: Visiting Nurse Alliance of VT/NH 1-800-789-3780, 603-448-1597, 325 Mt Support Rd, Lebanon Good Beginnings, Claremont, NH 603-542-1848 Family support agency that provides: parent education and support groups, child health services, and literacy programs. Good Beginnings of the Upper Valley, Lebanon, NH 603-298-6417 (VNA Office) Free volunteer home visitor program that gives help to families with newborn babies.


Prenatal Care

  • Dartmouth Hitchcock Midwifery , Lebanon, NH (603) 650-0300
  • Dartmouth Hitchcock OB/GYN, Lebanon, NH (603) 650-9310
  • Alice Peck Day Hospital Women’s Care Center OB/GYN and Midwifery, Lebanon, NH (603)448-3996
  • Gifford Hospital: Gifford OBGYN and Midwifery, Randolph, VT (802)728-2401
  • Dr. Shelly Gasow, (802)234-9913, Bethel, VT

Pregnancy Support, Education & Services

Women’s Health Resource Center, Dartmouth Hitchcock, Lebanon, NH (603)650- 2600. Support and educational programs. Free lending library. Childbirth, infant care, breastfeeding classes. Sell maternity and infant products Care Net Pregnancy Care Center: Offers pregnancy tests, information and referrals, peer counseling, educational programs, and material aid through and after pregnancy. All services are free and open to anyone. 1-800-395-HELP(4357); Lebanon 603-298-6123; Claremont 603-542-4747 Hannah House: Provides a shelter for pregnant and parenting teens, up to age 20. In addition, they teach parenting and living skills classes, birthing classes, offer tutors and provide outreach services and day care. Services are free and open to anyone. 603-448-5339 10 Abbott St Lebanon, NH DoulaCare: Elizabeth Solbert-Sheldon -Offering labor and postpartum support. 802- 649-5103 Leah V Wolcott CD(DONA) Certified Birth Doula – Offering pregnancy, labor and postpartum support. 603-727-4227 Oh Baby! Connie Blatchford – 603-667-7474 or Amy Pattison 603-667-7474 – Professional Doula Services offering labor and postpartum support. Women, Infants, and Children (WIC): provides healthy food and nutrition education to pregnant and breast-feeding women. It also provides food to infants and children up to 5 years of age. In addition, there is kid’s health screening and healthy foods delivered to your door. Participants must be determined nutritionally at-risk by a nutritionist, doctor, or nurse and must meet income guidelines. Call 1-800-WIC-4321 or 603-271-4546 for general questions. Local WIC/CSFP office: Visiting Nurse Alliance of VT/NH 1-800-789-3780, 603-448-1597 325 Mt Support Rd, Lebanon

Pregnancy Termination

Planned Parenthood of Northern New England: The offices in Lebanon, NH and Rutland, VT provide abortions. There is a central scheduling and information line (866) 476-1321. Dartmouth Hitchcock OB/GYN, Lebanon, NH (603) 650-9310 Dr. Peter Weiss, Springfield, VT (802)885-3110

Seniors Centers & Programs

Service Link

General information and services for seniors living in New Hampshire, (866) 634-9412
  • Royalton Area Senior Center Open on Tues and Thurs, and on Wed in Strafford. Offers home delivered meals and community meals. Call for information. 802-763-7386, Rte. 14, South Royalton
  • Thompson Senior Center Provides a variety of services, including home meals, community meals, a social worker, daily activities and some transportation for Wood stack area. Serves as the Woodstock Area Council on Aging. 802-457-3277, Woodstock, VT
  • Upper Valley Senior Center Offers a variety of services, including home meals & community meals, transportation, adult day care, chore help, health clinics, a social worker, and various activities. 603-448-4213, Lebanon, NH
  • Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) Provides some transportation, supplemental insurance and help in providing meaningful volunteer opportunities for seniors in their communities. There are many volunteer opportunities available. Chore Corp Volunteer help with household chores and errands Grafton County 603-448-1825 1-877-711-7787 Windsor County 802 885-2083
  • Bugbee Senior Center Provides a variety of services, including home meals, community meals on Mon – Fri, a social worker, some paralegal services, daily activities and some transportation for WRJ, Hartford and Norwich. All services are free, with donations accepted. 802-295-9068, White River Junction, VT
  • Hanover Senior Center Offers community meals once a month and various other services. There is a monthly newsletter with all activities which can be mailed to you. Call number below for information or to be placed on mailing list. 603-643-5531, Hanover, NH
  • Mascoma Area Senior Center Offers home delivered meals, community meals adult daycare, transportation and a social worker, as well as various activities. 603-523-4333, Canaan, NH
  • Orange East Senior Center Offers home delivered meals, and community meals and various activities in Bradford, Newbury, Fairlee , W. Fairlee, Corinth and Topsham. 802-222-4782, Bradford, VT
  • Orford Area Senior Services Offers home delivered meals, a community meal and various activities. 603-353-9107, Orford, NH
  • Randolph Senior Center Offers a variety of services, including home-delivered and community meals. 802-728-9324St., Randolph, VT

Smoking Cessation

Resources to Help You Stop Smoking

Upper Valley Smoking Cessation Programs

  • Mt. Ascutney Hospital, Contact Melanie Sheehan Windsor, VT (802) 674-7089 one-on-one counseling, quitline and classes, hypnosis therapy
  • Gifford Medical Center, Contact Susan Delattre Randolph, VT (802) 728-2118 one-on-one counseling, quitline and classes
  • VA Hospital, Contact Spencer Burdge White River Jct, VT (802) 295-9363 for veterans only, one-on-one counseling, classes, support group
  • Good Neighbor Health Clinic, Contact Cecile Furlong White River Jct, VT (802) 295-1868 one-on-one counseling
  • New London Hospital, Contact Patricia Rienzo New London, NH (603) 526-5267 one-on-one counseling, hypnosis therapy
  • Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Lebanon, NH (603) 653-1530 Tobacco cessation classes

Smoking Cessation Aides

Ask your doctor or nurse about what medication will work best for you. Over the Counter medications: Nicotine gum, Nicotine patch, Nicotine lozenge Available by prescription: Bupropion SR, (Wellbutrin) Nicotine inhaler, Nicotine nasal spray, Chantix Check with your insurance company and state health department about coverage for Nicotine Replacement Products.

Support Groups

There are many support groups in the upper Valley. They often change responding to local needs and new ones are starting all the time. If you are looking for a specific group, start by calling the numbers below.
  • Grief: 603-448-1597; Hospice/VNA: Offers several support groups for those caring for ill family members and or grieving the death of a loved one. Call for more information on current groups: 603-448-5182, 1-800-745-9108
  • Cancer: 800-639-6918
  • Alzheimer’s Disease: 603-650-2887
  • Parkinson’s Disease: 603-643-7494
  • Diabetes: 603-650-8630
  • Stroke: 603-650-8848
  • Parenting/perinatal: 603-650-2600
  • Teens with chronic Illness: 603-653-1495
  • Gay/Lesbian (parents/families): 603-653-9622
  • Veterans; 802-295-2908
  • Cardiac/Heart: 603-650-5797
  • Teen’s skills group: 603-653-1929
  • Meditation: 603-650-7963
  • Nightwalkers: 603-643-2624
  • Crohn’s/Ulcerative Colitis: 603-828-2911, ext:113

Teen Intervention Program for Substance Use (TIPS)

Confidential Assessment and Treatment for Teens and Families Dealing With Substance Use Problems, offered by Second Growth, 205 Billings Farm Road, Building 1, White River Junction, VT. Call toll-free at 1-855-290-2822 or 1-802-295-9800 for appointments and directions.

This is a 14-week outpatient program, with comprehensive assessment, motivational/behavioral counseling, incentives to motivate abstinence, therapeutic drug testing, and individual/family counseling. TIPS is for youth ages 12 to 18 who are struggling with marijuana, alcohol and other substance-related problems, and their parents. The program provides comprehensive assessment through collection of information from youth and parents or guardians. Substance testing provides objective assessment of substance abuse.

The program includes 14 weekly counseling sessions that provide motivational support for making changes as indicated and desired by the youth or parents. A specialized substance use contracting intervention is provided to parents, who are expected to attend sessions.

12 additional weeks of testing for substance use are provided.

You can self-refer to this program, for yourself or someone in your family. Just call the toll-free number to get started. Second Growth offers appointments between 8 am to 7 pm Monday through Friday.

TIPS is a collaborative program between Dartmouth’s Geisel School of Medicine and Second Growth ( provided in the context of research studies that collect information to help learn more about substance abuse and how to more effectively treat or prevent substance related problems. Youth and their parents are clearly informed about all aspects of their program that are considered research prior to participation. Participation can only occur if both the parent (or guardian) and the youth provide their written consent stating that they are willing to participate.


The teenage years are a time of change for many, but there are signs that may indicate a larger problem like marijuana, alcohol and other drug use:

  • Changes in friends
  • Negative changes in schoolwork.
  • Increased secrecy about possessions or activities.
  • Increase in borrowing money.
  • New use of mouthwash, breath mints, or incense to cover the smell of marijuana or alcohol.
  • Use of more secretive “coded” language with friends.
The New Hampshire and Vermont 2013 Youth Risk Behavior Survey of teens found:

  • At least 33% used alcohol in the past 30 days.
  • At least 18% binged on alcohol (drank more than 5 drinks in one sitting) during the past 30 days.
  • 18% to 21% were offered, sold or given illegal drugs on school property during the last year.

  • the potency of marijuana being used today is 3 to 4 times greater than 15 years ago and it continues to increase?
  • the synthetic “marijuana” that is now available is also very potent and more likely to have harmful side effects?

Barbara Farnsworth, MS, Executive Director of Second Growth, in partnership with licensed clinical psychologists and substance use researchers, Drs. Catherine Stanger and Alan Budney of Dartmouth, direct the program. The staff includes certified drug and alcohol counselors, apprentice addiction professionals, and interns who are experienced in the areas of child, adolescent, family and substance abuse treatment.


Advance Transit

Free shuttle serving Hanover, Lebanon Norwich and White River Junction, south to Hartland and east to Canaan. Call for schedule or pick up a route brochure around town. 802-295-1824

Volunteers in Action

Provides some transportation services for residents of the Windsor area through volunteer drivers. You pay for the miles driven. 802-674-5971New Hampshire Medicaid Ride Coordinator: The Coordinator will provide names and telephone numbers of volunteer drivers. They request a 2-week lead time to find transportation. NH – 800-852-3345 x3770


Provides free transportation for VT Medicaid clients without cars for medical appointments. Also provide Ticket-to-Ride program for those over 60 years old or with disabilities. This provides transportation for only 20% of the cost. Need at least 24-hour lead time to set up transportation. 800-427-3553

Upper Valley Rideshare

A free carpool matching service for commuters in Vermont and New Hampshire. A way to get a ride and lower your transportation costs. 802-295-1824


Common Questions About the Immune System and Vaccines 
Immunization Action Coalition